Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Do you have an out-of-state license (that the California DUI cop should not take?

California DUI arrest? Do you have an out-of-state license (that the drunk driving arresting officer was not supposed to snatch)?

Was a pink California DMV Administrative Per Se Suspension/Revocation Order and Temporary Driver License given to you (as required by law)?

This is what you need to know in California:

The Interstate Compact is a multi-state agreement between participating states to share information and reciprocate. It covers California license suspension actions and California DUI convictions.

Depending on previous California DUI offenses or refusals, licenses may be automatically suspended for a period of 90 days to five years, or permanently revoked for multiple DWI convictions (Connecticut).

If a resident of one state or holder of an out-of-state license has his or her driving privilege suspended by California DMV or gets convicted of DUI in California, the driver's home state can be notified. Your home or issuing state may honor & reciprocate - take action to suspend your resident's driver's license.

Just because you do not have a California driver's license and even if you do not plan to ever drive again in California, it is critical to know that a suspension of your driving privilege in California may result in a suspension of your home state driver's license.

No matter where you live, you obviously want to avoid, if not at least minimize, any driver's license suspension action by the California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). For this reason, you may need to consider diligently retaining a California DUI - DMV Attorney Specialist.