Monday, September 21, 2009

How to get a copy of your Driving Record

California DUI criminal defense attorneys are often asked how to get one's driving record from DMV.

Your DMV record is available to you during normal working hours. You may obtain a copy of your California driving license/identification card and/or vehicle/vessel registration information by:

•Visiting your local DMV office (make an appointment for
faster service)

•Completing a Request for Driver Record Information form
INF 1125

•Showing identification

•Paying the $5 fee
If going into a local field office is not convenient for you or you are out of state, you may request your record by mail. Complete the INF 1125 form available on this web site or prepare a written request, including your name, date of birth, social security number, California driver license number, and your signature, along with a check or money order for $5, and mail to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Office of Information Services
Public Operations Unit G199
P. O. BOX 944247
Sacramento, California 94244-2470

DMV can also provide you a copy of your spouse or minor children's record as long as they are living at the same address. The INF 70D/70R Request for Driver License/Identification Card or the Request for Vehicle/Vessel Registration form must be completed and submitted with the appropriate fee (provided on the form) for each request.

If a spouse or child is not living at the same address, please see "How to get a copy of someone else's driver license, ID card, vehicle or vessel record?"

The information above is provided courtesy of the California Department of Motor Vehicles.