Thursday, March 29, 2012

If you are not a resident of San Diego or California, discuss the effect of a DUI on your license with a DUI attorney or San Diego DUI lawyer

If you are not a resident of San Diego or California, discuss the effect of a DUI with your attorney or lawyer. Your driver's license may or may not be suspended.

If it is suspended by San Diego DUI and you go back to your home state, your lawyer will explain there are a number of options.

At some point, your DUI attorney in San Diego can show you how to apply for Termination of California DMV’s Suspension Action based on Out of State Residency.

From out of state, you may have to contact California's DMV Mandatory Unit to order the 1650 Waiver form from DMV at Telephone Number (916) 657-6576.

You must provide a SR-22 Insurance and certify you will not return to California for three years.

That is the only way to avoid doing the alcohol program in California. What DMV says, absent having done a program in California, you in theory can’t drive here for 3 years, and you must file the forms or you’ll never be able to drive in California again, even on a valid out-of-state license.

For online DUI program information, visit this new San Diego County DUI Law Center Article.

California DMV's 1650 Waiver includes a DL-300 for purposes of an out-of-state SR-22.
The 1650 Waiver packet has explicit instructions on how to complete the affidavit and
what supporting documents are required for approval by the DMV.It can take 4-8 weeks from when the forms are received for DMV to process.

You have to request the waiver and the DMV must note the file so when the completed waiver is returned to the DMV it can be processed. There have been problems with the waiver being processed when it wasn’t noted on the record that a waiver was sent.You supposedly can only apply for this waiver once in a lifetime, according to DMV in California.